The ketone diet (also referred to as keto) is a popular weight loss diet that is based on low intake of carbohydrates. The consumption of carbohydrates with this diet program is lesser than most other low carb diets. In fact, this diet program restricts carbs even more than the Atkins diet.
Along with low carbohydrate intake, the diet also incorporates high intake of healthy fat. So, what is the keto diet? It is a diet that encourages the body to burn fat rather than glucose. Incorporating the diet encourages your body to burn more fat for energy purposes. It basically tricks the body to use your own body fat as the main source of energy instead of carbohydrates. The diet is particularly popular for helping people lose weight in a quick and efficient manner.
A nutrient ratio for the diet:
The percentage of protein, fat and carbs of the calories consumed is known as the nutrient ratio. Since it is a low carb and high-fat diet, the right ratio for a proper ketosis weight loss is:
- 60% fat content
- 35% protein content
- 5% carbs content
Your number one goal when implementing the diet should be to maintain this ratio. Although high fat and low carb intake is a must, proper protein intake is equally important. Protein is utilized for sparing the muscle tissue.
Keeping the carbs in check:
A strict keto diet involves less than 20 grams of carb intake per day or around 5% of your total calorie intake. If you are just a beginner, it is advisable to be extremely strict about your diet. You need to get a hang of eating the right kind of food first.
For some people, the diet even works with if they consume under 50 grams of carbs each day. However, starting out with strictly low carbs is recommended. Once things start settling in, you can gradually increase the number of carbs in your ketogenic recipes. Once you find out exactly how much carb works for your body, you can maintain the right ratio accordingly.
Incorporating keto diet or any other food plan is not as easy as it might sound. With processed meals and fast foods so readily available these days, avoiding carb-rich foods can be a challenge. However, some planning goes a long way in this regard.
You should try to plan your daily meals and snacks at least a week ahead. That way, you can avoid a situation where you are restricted to just the high carb food choices. Simply knowing what is the keto diet isn’t enough. You need to get used to a new lifestyle altogether. You need to find different foods suited to the diet regime. Once you find the right kind of food that works for you, you have to stick with them.
Must have food items:
When you are on a keto diet, some foods are a must as they serve as staples for the diet. Some of them include:
- Eggs: If you are someone who likes eggs in general, you have more chances of experiencing success with the diet. Eggs can be hard boiled as a snack, consumed as omelettes, quiches and even low carb pizza crust. You have a lot of options. Just be sure you have eggs around whenever the need arises
- Bacon: Yes, you can even have bacon and still be successful with ketosis weight loss. It is something that goes with numerous recipes. Bacon is great options for breakfast and it can be used as burger topper, salad garnish or even BLT. Of course, you have to avoid bread with BLTs.
- Shredded cheese: It can be used in low-carb pizzas, salad toppers and enchiladas. You can even make it into tortilla chips in the microwave or simply sprinkle over the taco meat in a bowl.
- Cream cheese: You can use cream cheese with keto diet in dozens of recipes, including main dishes, pizza crusts and desserts.
- Spinach and romaine: Try to have plenty of green veggies on hand. Whenever hunger strikes, you can make a salad quickly and have a healthy snack.
- Artificial sweetener: Ketogenic recipes usually avoid sugar altogether. However, you can still use a couple drops of an artificial sweetener as a sugar alternative. Try to make sure the sweetener you use is as natural as possible
- Cauliflower: This low carb vegetable can be consumed fresh or in the form of frozen bags. You can even toss it in olive oil or bake and mash it in fake potatoes. It can even be used in main dishes in place of rice after shredding or chopping. It is definitely one of the best food items for a keto diet.
- Ground beef: You can use it in a big burger with toppings of cheese, sautéed mushrooms and grilled onions. It can even be used in cheese taco shells after crumbling and cooking with a taco. Ground beef goes along quite well with ketosis weight loss.
- Frozen chicken tenders: Thaw the chicken tenders quickly before grilling, sautéing, and mixing it with vegetables. It can be used in low carbohydrate flatbread after topping with garlic sauce. The chicken tenders can also be used in chicken alfredo, chicken piccata, enchiladas, tacos, Indian butter chicken, etc. The availability of such food choices makes keto diet so popular.
- Flavoured or plain almonds: These serve as healthy and tasty snacks. However, you must keep the amount you consume in check. You wouldn’t want the carbs to add up to more than the desired level. Coconut, vinegar, salt and habanero are among the flavours.
All in all, the diet is a unique and versatile way of losing weight. There are lots of tasty food choices that you can use in your ketogenic recipes. Just make sure you have the necessary food items in stock. Then, you can experiment with different foods and recipes.
A keto diet is a healthy option for anyone looking to shed some extra weight. Knowing more and more about the diets and recipes makes it easier to incorporate into your lifestyle. If you’re looking for an extra shortcut or fast way access to getting the best results on a Keto diet, we suggest looking into CBD Oil. This Buyer’s Guide by HerbMighty looks into various CBD oil brands (CBD oil can be used for pain, anxiety, dieting, stress, etc).